Thursday, August 26, 2010

Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant

Hi All,

When reading this article, I came across a sentence in the text that said “is it that Digital Natives can’t pay attention, or they choose not to?” (Prensky, 2001). This really got me thinking as it is not that the students come into the classroom and think I don’t want to learn today. Even if you have the most amazing lesson that has many activities to complete and is really reaching the outcomes needed, if this learning experience does not relate to the children, then no learning will take place.
I began to think about how I could engage the learners by relating the knowledge to their lives. A few solutions popped into my head, and all of these solutions funnily enough included the use of ICTs.

Finally I think I am beginning to get this whole idea about digital learning!
Yes, I do struggle with technology, but after reading this article I realised that I fall on the cusp of being a Digital Native and a Digital Immigrant. I was raised with access to technology and ICTs and yes I do use an IPod and have a fancy mobile phone, however, when it comes to computers and learning by these forms of technology, my instincts refer me back to the books.
It is my belief that although the use of overhead projectors was phased out when I was in middle primary, other technology was available for my teachers to use, they just simply chose not to. I dealt with text books and worked examples to learn throughout my high schooling as well, but I feel that as I am a Digital Native, if the classroom learning related to and catered for us Natives needs, then I would now not feel like such an Immigrant.

Amy

References:

Prensky, M (2001). Digital natives vs. digital immigrants. Viewed on 27/08/2010 from:
http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment