Monday, August 23, 2010

Interactive Learning Objects


Hi all,


When it comes to Interactive Learning Objects (ILOs), I become a little obsessed!
I have been accessing them for about a year now and I can’t seem to keep my searches short and simple. Learning objects can be found by logging onto the Learning Place and then going into the Curriculum Exchange. I have experimented in lesson plans with a variety of ILOs but have never had the opportunity to implement them in my lessons.

Last year I was not in a prac placement so that made it difficult to experiment. This year, I am in a prac placement and I tried to use them, but the class that I am in is at the back of the school and sometimes the internet connection is lost. This was the case with my lesson and so I had to resort to the good old OHP.


Last week, in my e.learning tutorial, I discovered how to solve that issue. I downloaded a program in Adobe called Adobe Shockwave Player. It was free to download and it allows me to download the learning objects that I desire and save them onto my computer and then open them in class so that I can use them without internet connection.


I looked at a few different learning objects and was really impressed with Gizmo. This website offers a free 30 day trial. I signed up for this and it allowed me to locate and access different learning objects that related to the Science and Mathematics KLA’s.

Plus
• Engaging game based learning
• Fun learning tool
• Mostly free of charge
• Access within school network
• Allow for independent and extended learning


Minus
• Lack of ability to easily save to computer (some don’t allow you to download)
• Too many resources to sought through
• Can be too distracting in the classroom
• Could be too engaging and take away from the outcomes achieved
• Students could possibly learn better from hand on experience

Interesting
• Integrated for a variety of KLA’s
• Give opportunities for learning managers to collaborate a variety of ILOs to add to a class profile
• Students could access the learning objects from home if they were downloaded onto a class profile website


Until next time,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment