Monday, August 23, 2010

Digital Video






Hi all,



I invested in a new laptop to complete this course with a passing grade and guess what...it has Movie Maker embedded in it already so that is one less tool that I have to download. I opened it up for the first time in my life and I did not even need to research how to use this tool. It was so simple to operate. Due to the fact that I have little time to play, I decided to create a movie that was similar to a photo story that outlined that steps that I went through to investigate and create four digital portfolios.



I chose to do this to outline and reflect on my learning journey for researching and applying digital portfolios to my prac learning experience. I found Movie Maker an extremely straight forward tool to operate. There are a variety of fantastic ways that this tool could be used in the classroom. I think that I could use it in my classroom at the moment. The students have just returned from school camp and they could create a photo story that sequentially documents and reflects on the activities that they encountered on their school camp.



I then uploaded my movie onto YouTube really easily. I clicked onto the YouTube symbol at the top of the Movie Maker screen and it took me to a link where I could become a member of YouTube and then it would allow me to upload it. I noticed that there was a box to tick in this uploading process that could allow me to set the clip as private. This got me thinking about how useful this could be in the classroom, because the children do not necessarily have to be viewed by the public.
So off I went and uploaded the movie onto YouTube, copied the embed code into my blog...and here we are.



I love YouTube so much. It is important to download and save the clip to the computer before using it in the classroom so that the viewing is not live. This assures safe use in the classroom. I really try to use a variety of YouTube clips to engage the students and give the students learning opportunities from others perspectives. Another useful site is TeacherTube. Has anyone else got any other ideas for how Movie Maker can be used in the classroom? Or any great YouTube clips they have come across? Let me know!
Until next time,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment